Department of Neurology
Department of Neurology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University is the only one Institute and Mecca to conduct researches, clinical activities, and education for medical students and staffs in Kumamoto district. We believe that we are one of the most active neurologists in Japan, thus lots of young neurologists and medical students come to study about neurology. On the clinical side, we take care of various patients with disorders of brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves and muscles as demonstrated below.
Message from Our Chair
Welcome to Department of Neurology at Graduate School of Medical Sciences Kumamoto University. It was founded as a specialty under 1st department of internal medicine at the University of Kumamoto in 1950, and Department of neurology started in 1995. Our department has provided outstanding researches on various neurological disorders over 50 years.
Our University Hospitals are based on three pillars: Clinical activities, researches, and education. Above all, providing new therapies by basic and translational researches is the work that only university hospitals can dedicate to.
Medicine has achieved rapidly-advancing development in the last few decades. In this progressive age, we strongly believe that our mission is contributing to patients by diagnosis, research on mechanism, and clinical care in the neurological field as an internationally recognized group of experts.
To accomplish our mission, we put high priority on reducing the suffering of patients by following basic rule; to evaluate their symptoms and signs accurately.
- Yukio Ando, MD, PhD
- Chairman and Professor
- Department of Neurology at Graduate School of Medical Sciences Kumamoto University
- Cerebrovascular diseases
- Cerebral infarction, cerebral hemorrhage, and cerebral amyloid angiopathy (CAA)
- Infectious diseases
- Meningoencephalitis, tetanus, prion disease, etc
- Neurodegenerative disease
- Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and related disorders, dystonia, essential tremor, spinocerebellar degeneration, dementia, motor neuron disease, facial spasm etc.
- Metabolic neuropathies
- Familial amyloid polyneuropathy, GM1-gangliosidosis, fabry disease, Wilson disease, vitamin deficiency (beriberi, Wernicke's encephalopathy, Alcoholic cerebellar degeneration, etc.
- Neurotoxicity disorders
- Carbon monoxide poisoning, pesticide poisoning, food poisoning, SMON, Minamata disease
- Demyelinating disease
- Multiple sclerosis, ADEM, Neuromyelitis optica
- Spinal cord disease
- Myelitis, cervical spondylosis, spinal cord tumor, syringomyelia, vascular disease of spinal cord, HAM
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Guillain Barre syndrome, CIDP, autonomic neuropathy, diabetic neuropathy, Bell’s palsy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, tunnel canal syndrome
- Neuromuscular Disorders
- Myasthenia gravis, polymyositis・dermatomyositis, inclusion body myositis, periodic paralysis, endocrine myopathy, metabolic myopathy, muscular dystrophy
- Epilepsy, migraine and tension-type headache, Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, Central vertigo, Narcolepsy
- Neurological complications occur in the following diseases: Blood disease, respiratory disease, kidney disease, liver disease, thyroid disorder, collagen disease, diabetes, malignant tumors, sarcoidosis, Behçet's disease
We are working on eight special projects
- 1) Analyses of pathological mechanism and therapeutic approaches for FAP
- 2) Investigation on the pathogenesis and therapies for various types of myopathies
- 3) Assessment of the thrombolytic therapy for the hyper acute stage of the Stroke with MRI/CT, ultrasonography, DSA, and SPECT
- 4) Genetic/pathological analysis of CADASIL
- 5) Analysis of pathophysiological mechanism and development of the effective therapy for neurodegenerative disorders including sporadic and familial ALS
- 6) Diagnosis and therapies for patients with autonomic disorders.
- 7) Treatment for Parkinson’s disease
- 8) Investigation for neuroimmunologic disorders
- Professor Yukio Ando
- Specially Appointed Professor Taro Yamashita
- Specially Appointed Professor Makoto Nakajima
- Specially Appointed Professor Shunya Nakane
- Associate Professor Satoshi Yamashita
- Lecturer Mitsuharu Ueda
- Lecturer (Diagnoses Service) Yohei Misumi
- Research Assistant Akihiko Ueda
- Research Assistant Teruaki Masuda
- Specially Appointed Professor Takayuki Kosaka
- Specially Appointed Professor Kotaro Takamatsu
- Specially Appointed Professor Keiichi Nakahara
- Specially Appointed Professor Akihiro Mukaino
- Specially Appointed Professor Yasuteru Inoue
- Specially Appointed Professor Nozomu Tawara
News and events
Thank you everyone who participated ISA 2018 in Kumamoto. You can enjoy the photo gallery highlighting special moments from the symposium. Visit the link below to get further information.